More on parenting principles!

Last week, we finished looking at the remaining verses on our brief "survey" regarding parenting principles. The goal was to be reminded that our daily decisions with little issues of parenting will reflect our biblical priorities (or lack of them!).

Some random things I wrote down:

Why don't I discipline (promptly)?
1. I'm lazy and think its too much work (right now).
2. I give up hope, become apathetic about an issue.
3. I'm all wrapped up in what I am doing at the moment.
4. I'd rather ignore it.

All of these reasons do not measure up with what I read in the Bible. I have to be on my guard that lesser priorities don't crowd out what the Bible says are my TRUE priorities. It is a daily decision. When we look at 1 Corinthians 13, especially verse 6, we see that if the Holy Spirit resides in us, we will not be content to leave our children lacking discipline. Our love will cause us to act.



God gets the glory!
In my search for biblical parenting ideas, I also must remember that it is God who brings about spiritual fruit in any of us, parents or children. I can plant and water, but God gives the increase. It is up to me to be faithful with the influence God has given me over my children. But God is the one who must work in their hearts, which reminds me....

Be careful to not be symptom-oriented!
My natural inclination is to want to snuff out certain behaviors (have them finish their vegetables, not interrupt, do their chores, etc.), especially if they are annoying. These are often results of diligent training which can come from good parenting principles put into practice. But they are not the goal in themselves. I drive myself batty worried about appearances. What should be my priority is pointing my child to the Savior. I need to use the behavior problems as ways to point my child to their need for the Lord each day. I also need to be diligent to train them in the way they should go.

There were more things shared at the meeting, but I didn't write them down! Argh!

Oh well.

Comments

Popular Posts