"When my children were about me"

{text formatting in this post is almost completely random! Blogger must be having one of those days!}

We enjoyed our last meeting's discussion, regarding 1 Peter chapter 2, as the obvious preface for 1 Peter chapter 3. I wish I had taken NOTES, but basically, we were looking at the depth of meaning in submission and subjection coming out of 1 Peter 2, in reference to the Lord Jesus' example. Sharon brought a neat outline of the chapter with definitions; I need to get a copy and I'll post it here.

So, basically, when you read 1 Peter 3:1, starting with "Likewise, ye wives..." you gotta look at why the likewise is there for. Looking at the previous chapter tells us that being in subjection means a lot more than making pot roast once a week (if that's my husband's favorite meal).


For this Friday, in anticipation of a busy month of December, there were three different thoughts that I came across last week, and I was thinking of tying them together to get perspective about the blessing of children when we are busy. The first one came from a book of old sermons on family topics, which I don't have in hand, but the text was the following:

Moreover Job continued his parable, and said, Oh that I were as in months past, as in the days when God preserved me; When his candle shined upon my head, and when by his light I walked through darkness; As I was in the days of my youth, when the secret of God was upon my tabernacle; When the Almighty was yet with me, when my children were about me;
Job 29:5

The gist of the message was that it's likely that Job's thoughts were not of sorrow for all he did wrong with his children (regrets), because he appears to have really been a godly dad. Rather, he was missing the joy of having his children with him, remembering the happy times, etc. The message went on to suggest important things we should be doing while we still have our children about us. It was really good. Are we fully appreciating our children each day, even in the midst of craziness? Or do we allow thoughts of frustration, etc. to veil the blessing God has given us? Another area where we need to renew our minds!

The second thought came from a sister whose family is serving in Romania in a very challenging environment, and how they felt so unqualified for the task except for the wonderful promise in 1 Corinthians 3:7:

So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth;
but God that giveth the increase.

It seemed to be an encouragement maybe for us with little ones to keep plugging away, walking in the Spirit, dying to self, and on and on...remembering that while we must be faithful, God is the one who really does the work.

And the third thought.... I just cannot recall, but that's okay.... maybe you will have something to share! Those with grown children will certainly have a helpful perspective on this!

We look forward to encouragement in the Lord! Hope to see you!


Comments

  1. We also looked at Isaiah 40:11. "Like a shepherd He will tend His flock, in His arm He will gather the lambs and carry them in His bosom; He will gently lead the nursing ewes." I think it says, "those with young" in the KJV.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts