Do as I do.

Only $12.99!


Last week, we discussed item 14, "Train them remembering continually the influence of your own example."

In short, his points are:

We will counteract our good advice, commands and instruction by our bad example.


We are always influencing those around us by our example.

Children learn more by the eye than the ear.



Whether by cheerfully responding when my clothing is drawn upon, or losing it when I find my toothbrush under the toilet for the nth time, I am teaching by my example.  This is especially true because little people  take the most in by my actions than by words of instruction.  But, what is so neat is that by teaching myself, I am teaching them, and vice-versa!

Plus, this is really a big time-saver!  It is proof again that our growth as disciples of Christ is not in low gear because of our family responsibilities.  In fact, the opposite is true!  By walking in the Spirit, as the Lord tells us to do (Gal 5:16), we are furthering our goals as moms at the same time.

Further, it leads to a question:  Do we need a curriculum to teach the Bible to our children?  Sure!  Not a curriculum on paper, or or on DVD, but US!

But we were gentle among you, 
even as a nurse cherisheth her children: 
So being affectionately desirous of you, 
we were willing to have imparted unto you, 
not the gospel of God only, but also our own souls, 
because ye were dear unto us.
For ye remember, brethren, our labour and travail: 
for labouring night and day, 
because we would not be chargeable unto any of you, 
we preached unto you the gospel of God. 
Ye are witnesses, and God also, 
how holily and justly and unblameably 
we behaved ourselves among you that believe: 
As ye know how we exhorted and comforted 
and charged every one of you, 
as a father doth his children, 
That ye would walk worthy of God, 
who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory. 
1 Thess 2:7-10

While we are not apostles, we do have the same goal as Paul does for his children, "That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory."   

My son, give me thine heart, 
and let thine eyes observe my ways. 
Proverbs 23:26

So if we are the curriculum, and we are not all that we should be, we have even more reasons to press on in our walk with the Lord.  We could mope and get discouraged, which would actually get us further from our goals, but Paul had a better idea!

Not as though I had already attained, 
either were already perfect: 
but I follow after, 
if that I may apprehend that 
for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.  
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: 
but this one thing I do, 
forgetting those things which are behind, 
and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 
I press toward the mark 
for the prize of the high calling of God 
in Christ Jesus.  
Phil 3:13-14

Don't believe the lie that your devotion to the Lord is hindered by having children underfoot.   Rather tap into the tremendous tool by which God desires to draw us closer in dependence on him, moment by moment.

I need thee every hour, most gracious Lord; 
 no tender voice like thine can peace afford. 

 I need thee every hour; stay thou nearby; 
 temptations lose their power when thou art nigh.

 I need thee every hour, in joy or pain; 
 come quickly and abide, or life is vain. 

 I need thee every hour; teach me thy will; 
 and thy rich promises in me fulfill.  

 I need thee every hour, most Holy One; 
 O make me thine indeed, thou blessed Son.


These words are by Annie S. Hawks, 1835–1918, who also wrote:  One day as a young wife and mother of 37 years of age, I was busy with my regular household tasks. Suddenly, I became filled with the sense of nearness to the Master, and I began to wonder how anyone could ever live without Him, either in joy or pain. Then the words were ushered into my mind and these thoughts took full possession of me.

Comments

Popular Posts