Train them to a habit of always speaking the truth.

In our meetings, we have been looking at the duties of parents. In doing so, I find myself having to often reread things.

This weeks topic is no exception. I read, "Train them to a habit of always speaking the truth," and I immediately think, "But how can I tell if they are lying?"

My brain instantly jumped to the results, when he is talking about the precursor to the desired results.

He doesn't even talk about how to figure out if they are lying. I suppose if he did, this article would be the most popular parenting article anywhere! And, to be honest, I probably would not consider his prescription, training, to be quite as an imperative.

I find I have got to get out of reaction mode and do more training. Even thinking beyond consequences, though they are necessary and biblical, but they are not really proactive. Training is the thing that I need to be dilligent in. Training when I am just going about normal activities, not just when the pressure is on.

A powerful tool in the hands of the chrisitan mother is that of training. We have the Owner's Manual when it comes to parenting. All the day long, we should be speaking to our children the things we ourselves are learning. This both instructs my children, and reinforces it in my own heart.

How do I know when my child is lying? Sometimes I don't know. How do I train them always speak the truth? That is a no brainer. By keeping God's Word on my tongue and talking of it all the day long. And by my example.
Let the words of my mouth,
and the meditation of my heart,
be acceptable in thy sight,
O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalm 19:14


P.S. That thing about sometimes not being able to tell if my kids are lying -- don't tell my kids, okay? ; )

Comments

  1. Amazing. Beautiful simplicity. You cracked the nut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just chuckled so much when I read your PS!! This was such a good post. So good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts