Chapter 9: Practical aspects of Scripture Memory

Last week, Dave got a email back from a brother who is hosting a fellowship meeting in his home. We were really hoping to come, but being practical and realistic, felt we should warn them beforehand of our current population. So Dave emailed him and told him we were 15 in all and that we were willing to stay home if he thought our group would over-pack the house.

The response was: "Dude, come on down!"

After reading Chapter 9 on Scripture memory, I would echo: "Dude, read this chapter!"

This chapter only took 30 minutes and was very packed with practical points. Sometimes it just takes someone else pointing out the obvious for me. For example:

"And take the helmet of salvation,
and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:"

Ephesians 6:17

While I do try to bring the Bible with me wherever I go, I usually don't carry it throughout the day while at home. However, MANY needs arise when I need to dwell on the Word of God. MANY opportunities arise when I am doing brainless things and should be keeping my mind on God's thoughts. Instead of thinking of scripture memory as "over and above", I am realizing how necessary it is. This encourages me that many of my daily thought struggles have solutions. Not just the Word of God, for I always have acknowledged that -- but taking it up, dwelling on it, meditating on it, remembering it.

Years ago, we had a stair stepper machine. My dad came and visited us one day, saw the thing and got on. He put both feet on, letting the stair things sink to the ground. Straight faced, he said, "Where do you plug it in?" He was joking.

Well, you don't plug it in, you lift one leg, then the other. You have to do the work.

Scripture memory is just like that. Getting the Word into our hearts and minds pushes out the junk that bogs us down.

Hope you can make it this week for a great time of encouragement in God's Word!

Comments

Popular Posts